top of page

Standing to be a Parish Councillor

Updated: Mar 29, 2023

If you're interested in standing as a Parish Councillor then you can read more about the role on our website by going to the Role of Parish Councillors and read the guide to Standing to be a Parish Councillor on Tewkesbury Borough Council's website.

How to become a Councillor

In order to stand for election, you need to be:

  • Aged at least 18

  • A British, Commonwealth or European Union Citizen

  • A local elector, or have lived, worked or owned property in the district for a year

Councillors are not paid a salary or wages but may be entitled to allowances and expenses for attending meetings or for taking on special responsibilities.

You cannot stand for election if you are disqualified, for example if you work for the council or you have recently been in prison. The full range of disqualifications at local elections is complicated and there are some exceptions. You should contact Electoral Services for further advice if you are unsure.

At the start of the election process, the Notice of election is displayed at Tewkesbury Borough Council Offices and at relevant points within the particular ward/parish. As soon as it is displayed, you will have about a week to submit a nomination paper. Please contact Electoral Services for the correct nomination form. Upon close of nominations, a list of candidates is published on the Elections Section’s webpages

Elections – 4 May 2023

Elections for Alderton Parish Council take place every four years and the next set of elections are scheduled to take place on Thursday 4 May 2023.

Further information is available on the Elections taking place on 4 May 2023 (including timetable and nomination pack)

Further sources of information on becoming a candidate and the nominations process

  • The Electoral Commission publishes information for people interested in standing as a candidate for election

  • The Be a Councillor web site provides information for people living in England thinking about becoming councillors in their area

  • The National Association of Local Councils (NALC) represents the interests of town and parish councils in England, but also provides case studies of current councillors from around the country explaining a little about why they represent their communities

  • The Ordnance Survey election maps web site provides further information on electoral constituency boundaries

Unfilled seats on Parish and Town Councils

Where an insufficient number of persons are nominated to fill the vacancies in respect of an ordinary Election, provided the number of nominations constitutes a quorum, those Members may co-opt any person/persons to fill the vacancy/vacancies which remain unfilled. A quorum is three, or one third of the total membership, whichever is the greater. Co-option should take place at the first meeting of the Council after the ordinary Election or as soon as possible thereafter.

Co-option should take place within 35 days of the date of the ordinary Election. There is no statutory procedure set down for co-option, but the following guidance and suggested forms have been prepared for the information of Parish/Town Councils and Clerks:

Please note that the above is for general guidance only and is not intended as a full statement of the law.

35 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


UK Parliamentary Election - Tewkesbury Constituency An Election is to be held for a Member of Parliament to serve Tewkesbury Constituency. Nomination paper packs can be obtained from the offices of th


bottom of page